Thursday, January 31, 2008

How to Shop & Organize Your Closet

I’ve recently had a revelation about my clothes – I don’t like most of them! I have a few pairs of jeans (and tops) in rotation, and the others are collecting dust in the back of my closet. What is the reason for this? Well, my style has changed quite a bit in the past year. Once upon a time, I adored baggy things & the ponytail holder was my b.f.f. Now, I love to girly it up. I’ve slowly been incorporating this style into my wardrobe. (And when I say slowly, I mean – a snail crawling through peanut butter would be faster.) I’ve also realized I need to stock up on the basic. (At this current moment, I own two sweaters, and neither one can be worn alone.)

So what did I decide to do about my fashion plight? Why, go shopping, of course! However, I’m not going about this in the same way I usually do – I’ve been planning, saving, and deciding exactly what I want to buy & how much I’m willing to spend. In June, I will have saved $400 (or maybe slightly over,) in order to go on a huge shopping spree & buy everything. (Am I the only one who finds carrying shopping bags full of new stuff to be a very satisfying feeling?)

I started a "Style File;" a notebook filled with clippings of clothes & outfits from magazines. It’s actually really fun to flip through the magazines & put the pictures in the notebook.

I’ve noticed a few trends throughout the pages of my notebook, certain styles that stick out to me. Among the list? Ripped jeans, classically cut khaki shorts, khakis paired with casual tops, short, bright dresses, lots of jeans, bright shoes, large handbags, and girly, feminine styles. I noticed that I like a lot of classic looks, with an updated twist. Even the exercise outfits I’ve cut out are cute, girly, and fun.

I’ve used my "Style File" to help me determine what I want to buy. Before I go shopping, I’ll go through my closet & my dresser & get rid of anything I don’t wear. From what’s left, I’ll determine what I need to buy.

My list so far looks something like this: Flats (Black, white, two fun colors,) Wedges (White & yellow,) Sandals (Three,) Flip-flops (White & Navy,) Jeans (Ripped, dark, & medium,) Basic tops (Cap-sleeved & long-sleeve,) other tops, dresses, and a coat. This list will become more detailed as I continue to create my "Style File," and go through my closet.

When I go through my closet, I will be brutal. I will not keep anything that I don’t wear, even if I "love" it. (If I love it, why haven’t I worn it?) I have tee-shirts that are a few inches too short, yet I insist on keeping them. Come June, these will be donated, along with quite a few other pieces, to charity.

When I do finally venture out, I will be bringing along a list, as well as my Style File! My boyfriend will also be coming along, as well as my best friend and maybe my best gay friend. They’ll all help me to avoid buying things that I know I won’t wear, but for some reason want anyone. (Then again, I might just bring my boyfriend, as he doesn’t rush me & won’t get annoyed with my constant trying on of clothes – another thing I resolve to do! Try on everything & make sure I love it before I buy it.)

On this note, the only thing I won’t be trying on will be shoes, as I will be ordering these online. I feel it’s cheaper this way, and shipping isn’t very much. (Although, I might buy a few basic tops from forver21.com, since I know my size & there isn’t one nearby.)

That is my shopping advice! Hopefully you took some good ideas from it! Now, on to the "organizing your closet" part. [: Please note that this article is from the January 2008 edition of Allure magazine.

"People ignore the inside of their closet on the theory that no one sees it, but it makes a huge difference to open the door to a space that’s beautifully maintained & aesthetically pleasing. If you’re creative – and a little ruthless – you can make all your closets feel spacious & well-organized.

Perk it up. Paint a dingy closet interior a light color so dark clothes are visible. Wallpapering the inside of the door can be elegant, but I wouldn’t choose anything too busy. Every closet should have a strip of fluorescent lights above the door; in a walk-in, the light should be in the center of the ceiling.

Be brutal with your wardrobe. My rule is if you know you’re not going to wear something again, let it go. Lose anything that is stained or damaged beyond repair and anything that doesn’t fit – and you have to be honest with yourself. After the first round of edits, go through everything again. People make the mistake of looking at their wardrobes as a unit; they’ll keep three pairs of black pants because they’re all theoretically practical, even if two of them don’t fit. And ditch at least some of the things you’re keeping for purely sentimental reasons. That doesn’t mean you have to throw out your grandmother’s wedding dress, but if you have a studio apartment, you shouldn’t be drowning in boxes of merit badges.

Hang out. Uniformity is the key to a pleasing closet. Buy matching hangers so your clothes all hang at the same height. I like velvet hangers because they prevent silk pieces, spaghetti straps, and wide-neck tops from sliding off. (& They look gorgeous.) Group categories of clothes together – sleeveless tops together, dresses, short skirts, long skirts, and so on.

Cover lots of ground. The space under your shortest hanging clothes is valuable real estate. For shoe storage, use cubbies or clear, stackable drawers, not boxes, which are a pain to open. The highest space in your closet is where you should put the stuff you use the least – out-of-season clothes, boxes of memorabilia, and so on. Organize it all in clear, stackable boxes with labels so you can see what’s there when you need to get it."

xo,
Ashlee

3 comments:

Leah said...

Is 400 dollars really going to be enough to buy all of those clothes?

Cashmere Mafia said...

Miss_World:

I think so! There are quite a few inexpensive, small stores in my area where I can buy them - not to mention there are many wonderful sites that offer inexpensive clothes! Check out cutesygirl.com & the15dollarstore.com [:

xo,
Ashlee

zoe said...

Ashlee-
I can totally relate to this. I'm oh-so guilty of purging my closet, only to end up with the same stuff when I'm done. Most of which I never wear....
Love this post. Keep up the great work!
xoxo