Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Alison's Fashion Musts!

Okay, here are my personal fashion musts, for now and for all time (which sounds extremely dramatic, but work with me), but I think they can be tweaked and adjusted according to your personal taste.

Black Ballet Flats


These specific ballet flats are London Sole (Shelley's of London makes nice ones too), but I found some awesome ones at *gasp!* Payless...now, I know, I know what you're thinking,I had to bypass some Velcro shoes to get to them, but it was worth it. Actually Payless has some cute shoes, especially the ones from the designer collaboration with Abaete....but they're usually not very comfy. You get what you pay for,quality-wise, except for the flats I got, which are awesome. They're super comfy. After the first time I wore them, which was on the first day of high school and I ran down the hallway in my Sienna Miller-esque (thank goodness that prairie skirt has now gone to prairie skirt heaven, where it can hang out with Laura Ingalls Wilder) outfit yelling expletitives....Not pretty! lol.



A Strand of Pearls
Real or fake, these rock. I also highly recommend pearl studs. They're the go anywhere earring. Same with diamond studs (though I promise not to tell if yours are cubic zoconium....)



An Awesome Sundress
I am such a sundress fanatic, mostly because I am criminally lazy. Hello, instant outfit! I have like, a bajillion (no exaggeration) to wear in the summer. They're so damn comfy and some people harp on dresses for thinking they are constricting, which is wrong, because I can climb a tree in one of those babies. And in the fall and early spring, you can throw a cardigan ontop and you're good to go!

One of my particular favourites is this American Apparel sundress...you can wear it SIXTEEN DIFFERENT WAYS! I know, it's kind of mind boggling. There is even a video.

A Cardigan
I like black cardigans for winter and white for summer (the one pictured below is from Urban Outfitters and comes in a ton of different colours). Grey is also an awesome neutral. You can throw them over anything (like, aforementioned sundress) for when it gets chilly, or when you're at school or work or church. I actually have a huge fondness for cardigans and whenever my sister sees me wearing one she's all like "Hey Grandma!". I just glare at her witheringly.





A Trenchcoat

I love them for spring and fall, especially when it's raining. I have a black belted one, which I love, but beige is nice too. You don't have to go all Burberry for this one, you can find them for good prices in random places. In Canada, try Fairweather, Le Chateau,Bedo, RW&Co., Winners. In the States, try places like Marshall Field's,Target, Urban Outfitters...


White Pants

White pants are awesome for spring and summer. They look a bit more dressed up than jeans, but casual and fresh, plus they're cool, being white. Don't cheap out too much on these, because poor quality shows more on lower quality garments (bad stitching, poor fabric). That's why it's great to go somewhere like Forever 21 or Urban Planet (not to be confused with Urban Outfitters....lol) for black club tops and the like, but not light clothing or big ticket items.


Camisoles
I love camis. White lacy ones are my favourite, but just pick colours that work with your wardrobe so you can layer and whatnot. They're pretty much essential and you can wear them under anything.


My Fashion Philosophy
I believe in buying fairly good quality stuff that you'll wear a lot. I love acessories....you can really put your own stamp on stuff with them. I don't like the idea of mass-consuming fast fashion. I mean, I love my Forever 21 and H&M, but remember to keep it in check, or you'll have tons of sub par things that you've only worn once. It's kind of wasteful too, both of resources and your money. So buy stuff that's versitile and that you love and that you'll wear a lot. Since I'm personally a teenager and growing I always give clothes I no longer need to charity, consignment shops or friends.

Okay, so I hope you liked my essential round up!

0 comments: