Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Ashlee's Style Must-Haves

No matter what your personal style, budget, or location is. there are certain things every girl needs in her closet. These are items that never go out of style & are very versatile - they can be mixed & matched with a lot of stuff, so you get more wear out of them. These are things you shouldn't be afraid to splurge on, but are easily found at lower prices. This is my personal list, and in the following days, the rest of the Cashmere Mafia will be posting their lists - I'm certain we'll have at least some items that are the same!

1. Fitted tee-shirts in various colors & neck shapes. Tee-shirts are a great basic to own. You can dress them up or down, and throw them on when you "have nothing to wear." They look great with just about anything, not to mention the comfort factor! My favorite ones are from Forever21 at $4.80 each. They have round-neck tees and v-neck tees, and are the softest tee-shirts I've ever owned. Because they're so inexpensive, you can buy every color! However, the most essential colors in my opinion are black, gray, white, navy, and brown. Any other colors should compliment you.


Forever21.com

2. Jeans. Every girl should own at least two pairs - a casual pair and a "formal" pair. (A dark wash pair that can be dressed up or down.) These should be flattering to your figure - if skinny jeans look great on you - go for it! But if they make you look like an ice-cream cone, don't wear them just to be trendy. One of my personal fashion mottos is "You can never have too many jeans!" My favorite ones are from American Eagle. (Specifically, the "Artist" jean.) They go on sale often, so if you don't like the $40 price tag, wait a few weeks & they'll probably be on sale. Shop around for your jeans until you find ones you love. Don't settle for something that's just "eh" because it's cheap. Remember, it's quality, not quantity.



ae.com
3. Camis. Camisoles, if nice enough, can be worn either alone or under other things. They make great layering pieces & nice items in the summer. They should be fitted, but not too tight, and longer, but not too long. You can get them in just about every color & they're usually relatively cheap. My favorite ones are from a boutique where I live, but you can them almost anywhere. The ones below are only $2.5o from Forever21.

4. The LDB! Irregardless if you're a dress gal or not (I most certainly am!), everyone needs the little black dress. Preferably, two - one for spring/summer & one for fall/winter. There will be that one event where you need to look nicer than just jeans & sneakers, and the LBD is always a no-fail option. Go for a length that you're comfortable in, and a nice fabric that you like. My personal LBDs? My summer one is a little shorter than the knee & a halter. It's made out of a fabric that is light enough for day, but warm enough, when paired with a cardigan, for the cool summer nights. My winter one is slightly longer than the knee and has longer, floaty sleeves. Your LBDs don't have to be boring - choose something that represents you! If all else fails, choose something basic - you can dress it up with accessories.


Theory, shopbop.com

5. Undergarments. Undergarments are obviously a very personal matter, but nonetheless - they are important to an outfit. Nothing looks worse than a nice sweater with back-fat from a too tight bra, or visible panty lines. (VPL.) Whatever kind you choose, make sure it fits you properly.

Other items, just as shoes, accessories, dresses, are up to you. For me, I love dresses & wedges, so these are a staple in my wardrobe. However, to a jeans and tee-shirt kind of girl, these might not be high on her "to-buy" list. Never limit yourself to one set style. If you see something you adore, but it doesn't fit your "style," ask yourself if you'll actually wear it. If you can imagine yourself wearing it with items you already have, don't be afraid to buy it. (Though this shouldn't be a regular occurance, as then you'll have tons of mis-matched clothes and nothing to wear!)

On a side-note, I also consider make-up an essential. I love make-up, and while the natural look is my favorite look, I like to play with different colors. So my make-up must-haves? A foundation that matches your skin, an eyelash curler, mascara, and chapstick!

This concludes my personal list - look for Ashley's tomorrow!

xo,
Ashlee

2 comments:

fashioncandi said...

SO TRUUEE LOVE UR PICKS i agree

i want more flats !!

Unknown said...

I love this! And I totally agree with your choices-especially the LBD and undergarments (properly fitting bras and panties are a must =] ).

-zo